For icing and decorating cakes you will need a sturdy icing that will allow to detail work to stay in shape and to also help support the structure of your tiered cake.
I have used many recipes over the years and this one just happens to be my favorite and go-to recipe!
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 4 cups confectioners’ sugar, sifted
- 1/4 cup milk
- Cream room temperature butter with a mixer until smooth and fluffy.
- Gradually beat in confectioners’ sugar until fully incorporated.
- Beat in vanilla extract.
- Slowly mix in milk and beat for an additional 3-4 minutes. Add food coloring if desired, and beat for 30 seconds until smooth.
When making decorators icing – change butter to 1/2 butter 1/2 shortening.
Shortening will “crust” which allows for decorations to slightly stiffen.