I am always looking for ways to make a yummy, healthy, and fast dinner. I usually pick-up my children from “school” at 4:30 p.m. By the time we get home, they act like they haven’t eaten a single thing all-day long. After taking off their shoes, they immediately head to the pantry or fridge to see what they can get their hands on. I know that they gobble up all of the delicious home-made foods that they get served for breakfast, lunch, and snacks every single day at their daycare. But they are ravenous by 5:00 p.m. and I need to get dinner on the table ASAP!
Both of my kids seem to be going through a picky stage. They want chicken, spaghetti, pizza, and muffins….those are their favorite foods and that’s what I KNOW they’ll eat well. However, those foods aren’t the healthiest (unless it’s grilled chicken), and I want my kids to eat a variety of healthy, yummy foods.
I’ve made this recipe in the past and remembered Braxton gobbling it up. I thought I’d try it out again and see if both boys would enjoy it.
To make it even quicker, I prepared the rice in the morning before leaving for work. It takes 20 minutes for the rice to cook, and it needs to be cold for the recipe. Having that prepared ahead of time makes this recipe very easy to get on the table in under 10 minutes!
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 2 cups cooked white rice, cold
- 2 tablespoon soy sauce (I use the lower sodium kind)
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup cooked, chopped chicken
- In a small bowl, beat egg and water.
- Melt butter in a large skillet or wok over medium-low heat. Add egg and leave for 1 minute. Remove from skillet and slightly scramble or chop the egg.
- Heat oil in the same skillet; add onion and sauté until soft and translucent.
- Add soy sauce, chicken, and pepper. Stir fry for about 5 minutes and then add the egg. Serve hot.
I didn’t originally have corn in the list of ingredients but I had some in the fridge so I threw it in while everything was cooking. I love making recipes my own and using up leftovers instead of throwing good food in the garbage. This recipe is so easy to make and the best part is that both boys loved it and had second servings!
To make this even simpler, I bought frozen grilled chicken breast that just needed to be heated up in the skillet for a couple minutes and then chopped up.
Hope you all have a wonderful day!
Love ~ JEN